Breeding Bettas

This blog is about breeding one of the finest fish in the world called Betta splendens. I will blog all my ups and downs in here so stay tuned! :-)

Sunday, July 4, 2010

New fry :-))

I started a new project! I intend to try and breed Betta splendens.
I decided to try the method "Levae the father with fry" and see how it goes. For that reason I chose the 10 galls tank which is planted with fast growing plants (Hygros and Java Moss). I also added some Peat Fiber to soften the water and add some acids to it.
The power head in the corner is not in use and will be only when fry get large enough to support the growing population.
At the moment I only use one small air stone near the surface to break the surface tension, placed far away from the bubble nest :-)

Oh yes the bubble nest!!! Approx 4-5 days ago I added a pair of Cambogian Half Moon streight from the shop into this tank and they seemed to be interested into each other alreay. She did show this white small tube under her belly and she was bloated (belly full). He imediately started building a nest.
The next day I had to leave for two days so couldn't obsreve them. 2 days ago when I arived home I could see a small bubble nest under the small peace of stirofoam I placed in the tank, but the nest was so tin and the bubbles didn't seem to look like anything is in there.
The day after while watching him chasing her around I saw some small spermatozoid looking wigling thingy fell out of the nest and wiggled back into it :-))))) holy moly macaroney I had fry !!!!!! I took the magnifying glass and there where a few in the nest with tails hanging down.

I imediately started with food preparations. I dropped 7 Infusoria stick into the tank which will hatch in about 48 hours and I dropped 10 drops of Liquifry1 into the tank to speed up the infusoria development which will feed the fry.
I will aslo feed the fry for the first two weeks with Liquifry1 drops 2-3 times a day. Since the drops are so tick I will presoak them in some water before feeding them to the fry. The drops are so tick that few of them simply fell down to the bottom and stayed there like a small white ball. The meaning is to get the drops disolved in water so small particles are available to the fishies.

The female
male showing off his finns
the actual new nest with fry in it! not big but vibrates with life!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home